Quarters J Rehabilitation
The Quarters J building and detached servants quarters with garage are listed on the National Historic Register as part of the Charleston Navy Yard Officers’ Quarters Historic District. The original portion of the structure was constructed in 1917 as a schoolhouse for the children of Navy families. In 1934, the structure was enlarged and reconfigured for officer housing, and a fourth bedroom addition was built in 1942. Extensive damage from termites and water intrusion require complete interior and exterior rehabilitation of the structure, which will allow the house to be transformed into its new use as an office with open floor plan recalling its original schoolhouse form. The project scope includes full mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems replacement. The project will be reviewed by the South Carolina State Historical Preservation Office and falls under the purview of the Office of the State Engineer.